What is The Immersion School?
— The Immersion School is a discipleship training program that equips and mobilizes believers by fostering lifestyles of spiritual growth, multiplication, and biblical community.
– “From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any of us.” -Acts 1726-27
The Lord is using the migration of millions of people around the world to bring the nations right into our shopping centers, schools, workplaces, restaurants, local businesses, soccer fields, coffee shops, and so many other areas of our daily lives. Some of these people are moving to North American cities as students, employees, refugees, or just to seek opportunity. Thousands of these immigrants the Lord is bringing to us are from unreached people groups who have little to no access to the gospel. In a consumerist culture filled with busy schedules, appointments, meetings, classes, commitments, and everything in between, it’s far too easy to lose sight of the call of God that is on every follower of Christ’s life –make disciples.
God never intended for His people to sit and soak in sermons on Sunday mornings without reproducing fruit that comes from His Word. If the Word is in fact living and active in one’s life, it would cause a fundamental heart and desire change that seeks for opportunities to make disciples in every believer. The Immersion School exists to train and equip the local church to make disciples in whatever context they live in or how busy their schedules are. Some approach disciple making as a task relegated to an “elite few” but rather it is a calling on the life of every Christian in the Church.
With that in mind, the Immersion School exists to help students discern their gifts and specific callings for the sake of equipping and mobilizing disciple makers to wherever the Lord leads them whether that is to their backyard or an entirely different country across the globe. Participants will become active in sharing their faith in a variety of contexts while receiving biblical and theological training intended to provide a solid foundation for a lifestyle of disciple-making. The Immersion School takes these principles and incorporates them in both the individual and small group contexts. Our hope is that through this, one will grow in confidence and wisdom when sharing their faith.
By definition “immersion” is a state of being deeply engaged or involved absorption. Training and courses are designed to help the believer grow in intimacy with God and become active in sharing their faith. This is achieved by incorporating classes with everyday life. There are “four key immersions”, or areas of the Christian walk, that students will be challenged in.
Four Key Immersions
“And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and the depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ,” Philippians 1:9-10 (NIV)
“And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others”- 2 Timothy 2:2 (NIV)
A deep and abiding relationship with Jesus Christ is based upon truth, knowledge, and wisdom found in the Word of God. The Immersion School believes that intentionality with the Word is the foundation of spiritual growth from which the Spirit matures every follower of Christ through four main areas of life. Though these “immersions” may look different for other people, students will learn to uphold these disciplines in their daily walk with Christ. The goal is to learn how to apply truth, knowledge, and wisdom from the Word to our own lives and to teach others also in every season of life in any context or culture.
- Inward personal relationship with God in Christ: “Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation – if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.” 1 Peter 2:2-3 (ESV)
- Outward personal relationship with God in Christ: “and I pray that the fellowship of your faith may become effective through the knowledge of every good thing which is in you for Christ’s sake”- Philemon 1:6 (NASB)
- Community and teams: “I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought”- 1 Corinthians 1:10 (NIV)
- Disciple-Making movements: “Therefore, go and make disciple of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”- Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV)
The Immersion School provides a structure as a basis for learning. From there students will see how the Lord uses the faithful who seek Him to make disciples of all nations no matter who or where they are. Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith. Through the Holy Spirit He continues to mature every follower of Christ to become more like him on daily basis. These ‘four key immersions’ are designed to cultivate a Christ-like pursuit of truth, knowledge, and wisdom. God disciplines those that He loves. He also expects us to discipline ourselves in our pursuit of Him. The Spirit leads us as we pursue God. “Those who seek the Lord will find Him”. The Immersion School is a conduit for those seeking a deeper understanding of their faith and God’s will for their lives.